Thursday, August 23, 2007

Nine Months = OW MY BACK!!!

Well, today was interesting to say the very least... Got up around nine so I could wake up my SO (heart says husband, paper isn't so honest) with a couple cups of coffee and some game time... Then dread the inevitable... The inevitable, of course, was feeding, bathing, and dressing Connor so he could go to his nine month checkup and we could get a few errands done in town...

At nine months old, getting 19 lbs 6 oz worth of baby into and out of the car seat and kept quiet for the duration of whatever needs to be done between doctor and home just is not an easy task. Especially not when Connor decides that getting dressed is the last thing that he wants to do!

At the doctor's office, toys of choice included a receptionist's shirt of all things, and the doctor's stethoscope. While she had it in her ears. Trying to listen to his heartbeat, stomach, and lungs! And of course, he threw a fit when she tried to get it back from him. That'll teach a doctor not to believe Mommy when she says that Connor Will Eat Anything He Can Reach! Then he tried to eat the little light she used to look into his ears and mouth, and screamed again when she took that away.

Which meant, time for a peace offering. Of a tongue depressor. Which he wouldn't be parted with for the rest of the afternoon!

Then on to the hospital so he could get a little blood taken for tests that they wanted done at this point. Naturally, he bled more on the technician's gloves than into the little bitty vials that he was supposed to be bleeding into. And as soon as he was out of the room with them, ripped off his brightly-colored bandaid and tried to eat it almost before I could wrestle the little piece of plastic and sticky-stuff out of his little hands.

Mommy actually scored one! Yay me!

On to the grocery store... Not such a dreaded trip at this point, considering it was only a short trip and he had something to busy his hands with (day planner minus the pen, anyone?) so he wouldn't be quite as likely to try something that might be funny later but more than likely would scare the living daylights out of Mommy in the meantime.

Took about half an hour to get tea bags, a 2-liter bottle of soda, and a few frozen dinners, but at least I made it out of the store alive! The only real problem was that I was limping by then because my back was already killing me. And we still had to go and pay the car insurance! You see, both me and Connor had a job to do... Mine? Getting the money to the insurance lady. His? Trying everything in his little bag of tricks to get the wallet away from me before I could hand the lady the money!

I was assured that my SO would have the baby's bed all ready for him to be put back in it by the time we got home (a good three hours of gone-time, too!)... but when I get in, plop in recliner with Connor, and call up the stairs for him to bring the groceries in (there was no way I was going to be able to carry the baby and the food at the same time!), what do I find out?

That I still have to set up the bed! And why do I have to do that? "Because you do it better!"

If looks could kill, I'd have had one very very dead Ted on my hands at that point.

So I go up, fix the baby's bed, go back down and have Daddy take care of the rest. Including cooking his own supper (nevermind that "cooking" means stuffing in the microwave and making sure it comes out somewhere between not frozen and not burnt) and taking care of the baby while I pass out in the recliner and evenutally change to the bed we have set up so it looks almost like a futon in the livingroom... And eventually get a nice... long... hot soak to try and ease my back off some.

I couldn't take pain pills right now even if I was one to do that kind of thing. It might hurt the new baby boy that's on the way! After I soak, I lay down and let the fans dry me off the rest of the way. Which, of course, means that I passed out again.

Next thing I know... it's past 2AM and I'm wide awake.

Yay for Night Owl Mommies.

No comments: